1800 931 129


We understand that sports insurance can sometimes be confusing and raise a lot of questions. To help, we’ve answered some of your most commonly asked questions about the Australian Taekwondo Insurance Program here.

What sets the Australian Taekwondo insurance policy apart?

This policy has been tailor made specifically for martial arts clubs and provides a broad and all-encompassing coverage for your club activities. This policy also includes coverage for additional activities your club may conduct which are incidental to the overall Taekwondo related activity – these may include; Greco Roman & Shoot Wrestling; Personal Training; Brazilian Jujitsu; Weapons Classes; Gymnastics; Weights classes; Martial arts; kickboxing; boxing and mixed martial arts. In addition, registered members receive coverage at sanctioned activities involving participating in club, representative, state or national events.

The Australian Taekwondo insurance package is also a combined offering which includes both Professional Indemnity, Public Liability and Personal Accident Insurance for affiliated clubs. Affiliated Clubs automatically attain this level of cover upon affiliation with Australian Taekwondo. Affiliated Clubs will also have added support from Australian Taekwondo to enhance relevant claim outcomes, as opposed to being involved in this claim process externally and individually.

What is covered under normal club activities?

Club training, internal club competition, club fundraising and promotional activities not taking place on club grounds, club social activities, international club organised tours and all school programs.

Do affiliated club instructors who visit schools through both the AUSTKD Sporting Schools Program and general club organised school programs and visits receive coverage under the PL and PI policy?

Yes – the club instructor would be covered for any allegations of negligence against them under the PL and PI policy when delivering Taekwondo activities.

Are non-member school students covered when they visit your club on school or community programs?

The school students are covered under their school insurance policy. Your club members and your club instructors are covered for their responsibilities during any school visits under your public liability insurance and personal accident insurance.

Does personal accident insurance apply to members participating in inter-club events, hosted and organised by affiliated clubs which both AUSTKD members and non-members attend?

Yes. Inter-club events which are hosted and organised by affiliated clubs and which have affiliated members of the current membership year are covered.

Does personal accident insurance apply to members participating in inter-club events which are hosted and organised by unaffiliated clubs?

In order for current members to receive personal accident insurance in inter-club events which are hosted and organised by unaffiliated clubs, the Head Instructor of the affiliated club must complete the AUSTKD Event Access form. Please email admin@austkd.com.au for further information. In addition, if you are unsure if the organiser club is affiliated with AUSTKD or not, please check the national club finder here or email the above email address.

Does public liability, product liability and professional indemnity automatically cover event organisers from affiliated clubs for inter-club events which only AUSTKD members participate in?


Does public liability, product liability and professional indemnity automatically cover event organisers from affiliated clubs for inter-club events which both AUSTKD members and non-members participate in?

No. To ensure that the best possible assistance is provided and to minimise risk against the event organiser, this inter-club event requires an official sanction from the relevant State Body and National Body in order for the event organiser from the affiliated club to be covered. Please email admin@austkd.com.au for further information.

Does this insurance cover the Medicare gap? In other words, the difference between the cost of medical treatment and the Medicare rebate for physicians, surgeons and anaesthetists?

Unfortunately no, as government legislation does not allow it. By law, this policy can’t cover medical expenses that are covered by Medicare, including the gap between the expense and the Medicare rebate. However, if an injured Australian Taekwondo member is covered by private health insurance, the Personal Accident policy will pay the balance above the private health insurance refund on expenses not claimable.

This is subject to the percentage reimbursement, the limit per injury and the excess applicable.

Should active Australian Taekwondo members also consider taking out additional personal coverage?

This program is not “comprehensive” and as such we encourage all participants to take out Private Health, Life and Income Protection Insurance according to their own individual needs and circumstances. It is an individual’s responsibility to ensure that they have adequate insurance cover for their own needs.

Are students who commit to a trial at your club covered?

When the individual visits your club for the first time to trial, your club must keep a record of this initial visit and trial commencement date. PA coverage is in place for 4 weeks from this date only. Following this 4 week period, to be covered, the individual must be a fully paid member and showing on the national membership system (RevSport).

Do AT members receive coverage on all overseas (club organised) trips?

Yes – for Taekwondo activities only. Public Liability cover is worldwide for any visits by the affiliated club for the purpose of playing or administering Taekwondo but only whilst acting in connection with club activities and whilst conforming to club rules and by-laws. Personal Accident covers overseas travel during a tour for the purpose of participating in representative matches and/or any other games duly authorised by the club and/or Australian Taekwondo.

It is important to note: The Australian Taekwondo Insurance program will provide Personal Accident coverage for the athletes whilst overseas participating in sanctioned Taekwondo activities. However, it is important to understand that the level of cover offered under this type of policy is not the same as the level of cover offered under a traditional Travel Insurance policy. Any benefit would only be claimable once you return to Australia subject to the standard policy terms and conditions. Therefore, if travelling overseas, it is strongly recommended that you obtain your own comprehensive travel insurance policy, including cover for participation in martial arts activities, prior to leaving Australia.

What do I do if I am involved in an accident and want to make a Personal Accident claim?

You will need to complete a Personal Accident claim form as soon as possible. A claim form can be found on the “Claims” page of this website where there are step by step instructions on how to make a claim with the insurer.

When should I send in a Personal Accident claim form?

A claim form should be completed and submitted as soon as you become aware that you will be making a claim and ideally within 30 days of the injury occurring. You do not have to wait until after you have completed treatment for your injury. Please note that any treatment rendered necessary by injury must be completed within 12 calendar months from the date of such injury occurring for expenses to be covered.

Is the Medicare Gap claimable under the Australian Taekwondo Personal Accident Policy?

No, the Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973 does not permit the Insurer to contribute to any charges covered by Medicare (including the Medicare Gap). This means that any charges for treatment from a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist or Surgeon’s Assistant are not covered if they have Medicare item attached to them. It also means charges for X-Ray, some MRI Scans (if Medicare registered) and Public Hospitals are not covered. In addition, there will be no refund in respect of:

  • any expenses recoverable by You from any other insurance program or plan providing medical or similar coverage or from any other source except for the excess of the amount recoverable from such other policies/plans
  • any expense to which the National Health Act (Cth) 1953 or any of the regulations made there under apply.
What is the maximum benefit period for Loss of Income and Non Medicare medical claims?

104 weeks for Loss of Income claims and 52 weeks for Non Medicare medical claims.

What is the Excess under the Australian Taekwondo Personal Accident Policy?

There is a $10 excess in respect to making a claim for non-Medicare medical expense claims.  This amount will be deducted from any reimbursements that you are entitled to. If you are making a loss of income claim you are subject to a 7 day elimination period which also takes into account any accrued sick leave or other entitlements. This means that any loss of income during this period is not claimable.

Can I claim on my Private Health Insurance as well as the Australian Taekwondo Personal Accident Policy?

Yes, you must initially claim on your Private Health Insurance and then claim on the Australian Taekwondo National Insurance Program for any non-Medicare medical costs that exceed the limits of your Private Health Insurance. Unfortunately due to the Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973, the Insurer is unable to contribute to any charges covered by Medicare (including the Medicare Gap).

Is the cost of ambulance transport covered under the Australian Taekwondo Personal Accident Policy?

Yes, ambulance transport is a non-Medicare medical expense and as such covered under the non-Medicare medical benefit (up to the limits that you are entitled to).

Back to top