1800 931 129


We understand that navigating the world of risk mitigation can be both confusing and raise a lot of questions. To help, we’ve answered some of the most commonly asked ones here.

Does the Motorsport Australia National Insurance Program cover the liability of contractors, sub-contractors, hirers and other service providers?

The Motorsport Australia National Insurance Program policy provides no indemnity to third party persons or organisations for liability incurred as a result of their own negligence during their activities at Motorsport Australia permitted events.

A Certificate of Insurance therefore must be obtained from all individuals or entities not insured under the Motorsport Australia Public Liability Policy who provide goods and/or services for Motorsport Australia permitted events. This includes any third party person or entity conducting activities at the event/facility. Third parties must provide a Certificate of Insurance that proves they have current Public Liability insurance which:

  • Provides a limit of liability of not less than $10,000,000, and
  • Has been extended to indemnify the Motorsport Australia Permit Holder or Motorsport Australia Affiliated Club as an interested party in respect of such liability.

The third parties must also prove that they have current Workers Compensation cover for their employees (where applicable).

Where the third party involved is conducting motorsport/vehicular activities, they must provide a copy of their Public Liability Insurance confirming cover for negligence associated with those activities. A standard Public Liability policy is unlikely to provide indemnity for legal liability incurred as a result of participation in motorsport activities. Hence, the importance of ensuring that the third party involved has appropriate insurance protection in place.

The Motorsport Australia National Insurance Program does extend cover to contracted individuals who are acting as an official within a Motorsport Australia Permitted Event.

What is the insurer’s definition of officials/volunteers?

An official/volunteer is a person whose duty it shall be to direct and control event activities under a Motorsport Australia Permit. This may include: stewards of the meeting, chief observer, clerk or director of the course, secretary of the meeting, medical officers, fire officers, time keepers, chief scrutineer, scrutineers and machine examiners, observers, spectator area marshals, marshal zone security officials, flag marshals, judges, handicappers, starters and such other officials/volunteers as the organisers, Motorsport Australia, deem necessary.

They shall be termed officials and/or volunteers and may have assistants to whom any of their duties may be delegated. An official/volunteer may also be an individual person who places him/herself at the disposal of the event organiser for the purpose of assisting in the conduct of an authorised Motorsport Australia motor sport event.

Does the Public Liability Insurance meet the requirements that property owners such as councils may require as part of their lease agreement?

The intention of the Motorsport Australia Liability Policy is to indemnify all property owners while their Property is being used for a permitted Motorsport Australia event. This is in respect to any claims arising directly from the motorsport activity occurring on the property owner’s land. Please contact the Motorsport Australia Permit Department if you have been asked to provide a Certificate of Insurance noting the interests of the property owner and/or government body or council.

Does the liability policy cover us for club social events and other non-motor sport activities?

The Public Liability section covers liability resulting from non-motor sport activities such as, but not limited to, committee and club meetings, social gatherings, fund raising activities and working bees.  However, some other club activities may require a Motorsport Australia Permit. Affiliated Clubs are covered by the Motorsport Australia Insurance Program where:

  • Only club members are participating in the activity;
  • A Motorsport Australia Permit (event or social permit) is NOT required; and
  • The activity does not involve the general public.

Contact the Motorsport Australia Permit Department regarding social permits required for certain activities. A permit is not required for club meetings or working bees.

Are we covered for third party property damage?

The Public Liability coverage extends to insure all Motorsport Australia Affiliated Clubs and Motorsport Australia Permit Holders should a third party accuse the Motorsport Australia Club or Permit Holder of negligence resulting in property damage. 

For example, a fence is damaged during a rally event and the owner of the fence sends a letter demanding the cost of the fence be paid for by the Permit Holder. In this case, the Permit Holder should complete a Public Liability claim form including a copy of all correspondence and incident reports.

The excess for all Public Liability claims is $10,000. Please contact Gallagher or Motorsport Australia for further information regarding excess claims.

Back to top