1800 931 129


We understand that sports insurance can sometimes be confusing and raise a lot of questions. To help, we’ve answered some of your most commonly asked questions about Waterski and Wakeboard Australia’s National Insurance Program here.

Are non-members or members participating in non-sanctioned events, covered by the Waterski & Wakeboard Australia National Insurance Program?

No. Any participant in an event (including social events) who is not a registered member, other than come’n’try participants are not insured. If any member participates in an event that is not sanctioned by Waterski & Wakeboard Australia or the Affiliated State/Association/Club, they too are not insured and must check the insurance offered by the event organiser.


What is the process for claiming for emergency transport expenses?
  1. Incident occurs (club/organiser will have a log of the incident and is responsible for submitting incident report to Gallagher).
  2. Transport provided/participant is billed by transport provider.
  3. Skier claims via private/public insurance in first instance. Private/public insurance may not cover full cost of transport which can then be claimed against the WAWA national personal accident policy.
  4. Gap between private/public insurance can be claimed against the personal accident policy. The personal accident cover is conditional on the event incident reports/logs being received from Organisers.
  5. Claim for emergency transport occurs after account with transport provider has been settled.

Participants are encouraged to settle their account directly with the transport provider before seeking reimbursement through the personal accident policy. This will ensure that the skier does not incur penalty charges. However, the insurer can pay the emergency transport provider directly, under the following circumstances.

When private / public insurance exists: once participant has claimed via private / public insurance, the benefit statement and emergency transport invoice can be lodged with the personal accident claim and the insurer will settle the gap directly to the transport provider.

Does this insurance cover the Medicare gap? In other words, the difference between the cost of medical treatment and the Medicare rebate for physicians, surgeons and anaesthetists?

No. Government legislation does not allow it. This policy cannot, by law, cover medical expenses that are covered by Medicare, including the gap between the expense and the Medicare rebate. However, if an injured WAWA member is covered by private health insurance, the personal accident policy will pay the balance above the private health insurance refund on expenses not claimable through the Medicare system, subject to the percentage reimbursement, the limit per injury and the excess applicable.

If I am eligible, what is the ongoing timeframe for payments of the weekly benefit?

Once the initial paperwork has been received and processed and the benefit has been deemed as available to your situation, we will request that you provide a doctors certificate outlining the dates that you are away from your employment and the condition from which you currently suffer. This certificate must not be longer than 4 weeks away from work and must be provided every 4 weeks.

My injury seemed to be okay, so I continued water-skiing/wake-boarding. 13 months later I require surgery, can I claim?

No. Any expense incurred more than 12 months from the initial date of injury is not covered. You also require medical advice to return back to participating.

I'm running my own coaching business or commercial ski or camping facility, am I insured under the WAWA programme?

 Only if the program you are running is sanctioned by WAWA, and all participants are WAWA registered members.

Back to top